Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yes, I am a sports fan...




My very first post is dedicated to my football team, the Baltimore Ravens. There is a lot of smack talk going around about my beloved team and my fellow fans that I'm not too impressed with. I mean, I know the Ravens are the most feared team in the NFL, so I get where these "haters" are coming from. Although the Ravens' standings look so so on paper, the fact remains that they could easily be 7-0 right now.

Let's start with the loss to the Patriots...The Ravens were not only their own worst enemy in this 27-21 loss by not catching perfect passes thrown by big Joe, but they also faced a lot of very questionable "rushing the passer" penalties in this game. Not only did these calls draw the attention of the all the sports announcers and writers, but the players even had something to say. Ray Lewis says, "Without totally going off the wall here, it is embarrassing to the game. Brady is good enough to make his own plays, let him make the play." Now I'm sure he was fined for those comments because you NEVER question the officials, but I'm glad he wasn't scared to speak out on something that upset him. As for Tom Brady, well the jury is still out on whether he sports a jock strap or a thong under those pants. However, even with the help that the Patriots received in this game, the Ravens were still close enough to beat them had they made the necessary plays.

Moving on to Cincy...in this 17-14 loss, the Ravens again were called for penalties that cost them the game. Against Cincinnati, the Ravens were penalized 10 times for 76 yards. While some may find these calls questionable, others will say they were well deserved. No matter the case, the Ravens shot themselves in the foot, and it cost them the win at the very last minute of the game. I am ready for the rematch this Sunday; it should be a great battle! I just hope Ochocinco was able to find his helmet after that game!
(Side note: I can't stand calling him that...how clever, you changed your name to match the numbers on your shirt.)

Our last loss was to the much respected Vikings, lead by the great Brett Favre. This 33-31 loss was the worst game I've ever seen my team play. The confident defense that I used to know and love was non-existent for 3 quarters. However, I will say that the 4th quarter effort was fantastic. The Ravens rallied and pulled ahead 31-30 with 3:37 to play. All I could think when this happened was "something bad is coming." That something came in two forms: a long pass by Brett to set up a field goal, and a missed field goal by Hauschka. I remember saying to myself during the pre-season that if we pick one of these kickers, they will lose a game for us. In my eyes, neither one was consistent enough to keep over re-signing our beloved Stover. I knew when this game came down to a field goal that he was going to miss it. However, the truth is, we can't blame him for this loss. Had the Ravens started the game the way they finished it, it would've never came down to a field goal, plain and simple.

So, as you can see, the 3 losses that Ravens were dealt could've very easily been wins. They proved last week that they are back with a vengeance when they handed Denver their very first loss of the season. The defense that was missing in the Vikings game was alive and well in this Denver game. The bottom line is, the Ravens will always face ridicule and adversity, and may never be a respected franchise in the NFL, but I will tell you this, the Ravens are the one team that's perfectly capable of robbing other teams of their championship chances. Like I said before, they are the most feared opposition in the NFL for that reason. GO RAVENS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment